Free your
mind.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

No, Not Unicorns and Things––Unless That's What You Want

My friend Belief and I had a little chat today.  I almost turned my back on him, and he got a bit upset.

See, when I was younger (I mean elementary school young) Belief and I were really close.  I believed that I could do whatever I wanted to do and become whoever I wanted to be.  I believed in the power of Belief.  As I got older though, I started paying attention to things and listening to people that started to make me think that my friend Belief was not as powerful as I thought he was.

He was still relevant in my life––he helped me get A's in my classes and kept me determined to complete little tasks that I needed to get done––but I started to separate him from my imagination.  When I was younger, I imagined growing up and having all kinds of careers, whether it be teaching, acting, singing, dancing, writing, drawing (even though I couldn't draw too well).  I believed I could be all of those things and be good at it.  People started laughing at my imagination though; I was told that those dreams were just that––unrealistic figments of my imagination that could NEVER come true.

When Belief and I chatted today, we talked about unlocking the door to my imagination that I locked long ago.  The possibilities in this world are endless up until it is time for us to leave our state as living beings.  Why should I ever limit those possibilities because I or someone else thinks that they can never happen?

The first step to making things possible is to recognize that those possibilities are actually there.  I became so constrained to my day-to-day life that it became all that I knew; it led me to limit my thinking to the possibilities that were directly in front of me.  Belief told me that I needed to imagine again; I needed to dream again.  Imagining and dreaming about WHATEVER it is that I want, regardless of how unrealistic those wants sound to others, serve as a reminder that possibilities are infinite.  Opening that door to imagination reminds me that the things that I want DO exist; I just have to go and get them.  More importantly, I have to BELIEVE that I CAN get what I want.  Belief told me that once I understand that the things that I want can be physically acquired, just as the materialistic things that I have now, I can get them, place them directly in front of me and have them to myself.

I know, all of this sounds cliche.  "We've heard all of this before; they tell children these things," or "You're living in a fantasy world Priya."  Yeah, I know.  I might sound like the typical college student, modern day hippie to some of you.  But sometimes people need to hear that what they want is out there; sometimes people forget that they have the ability to turn their life into whatever they want to turn it into as long as they keep Belief within them.

"Champions aren't made in the gym.  Champions are made from something they have deep inside them; a deep desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali.

...Oh, and please stop telling CHILDREN their dreams can't come true; they tend to grow up believing that when they hear it.

2 comments:

  1. You always know what to say to turn my day around..sounds like something a tall, handsome, angel-like creature said to you before lol..and here I am now needing to hear it from you! Thanks. -secret admirer

    ReplyDelete

speak.your.mind